Global Ties Akron (GTA) has announced its search for an Executive Director to step into the role in 2024. Thanks to Michelle Wilson’s leadership since 2001, this opportunity offers a chance to lead a strong, stable, and highly-respected nonprofit organization. The GTA search committee is focused on identifying and recruiting a talented leader who recognizes the importance of building global bridges that benefit the Greater Akron community. To apply for the position, send a letter of interest and resume as attachments via e-mail to: Gtakron.firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume should list at least three individuals willing to make recommendations. All submissions are confidential. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for the position, send a letter of interest and resume as attachments via e-mail to: Gtakron.email@example.com.
Resume should list at least three individuals willing to make recommendations.
All submissions are confidential.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Board of Trustees
Our mission: Global Ties Akron strengthens academic, corporate, organizational, and personal links between Northeast Ohio and the world. As a member of Global Ties U.S., Global Ties Akron (GTA) partners with the U.S. Department of State to provide professional and educational exchange programs, speaker engagements, and special events to promote citizen diplomacy and cross-cultural understanding for the greater Akron community and also through international partnerships.
The Executive Director (ED) is the chief operational manager and spokesperson of Global Ties Akron. This includes managing all operations to address the mission and meet the programmatic and financial goals of Global Ties Akron in coordination with the priorities outlined by the Board of Trustees and its strategic goals and policies.
The ED is responsible for organization operations, communications, fundraising and grant writing, and stakeholder relationships.
- In accordance with the strategic plan, the ED has primary responsibility managing:
- program development, implementation, and evaluation.
- staff, independent contractors, interns, and volunteers.
- a communications strategy for website content, traditional media outreach, social media, printed and online materials creation.
- Engagement of board members to meet organizational needs.
- In partnership with the Board of Trustees, the ED is responsible for:
- fiscal management, including fundraising and grant writing.
- creating and maintaining relationships with stakeholders, including community partners, current and prospective donors, volunteers, funders, Global Ties U.S., hospitality hosts, national program agencies, elected officials, international program alumni, and the public.
- acting as an organization spokesperson and preparing staff and board members to represent the organization at Global Ties U.S. national and regional meetings, public events, and speaking engagements.
The Executive Director of Global Ties Akron is expected to be a highly motivated, diplomatic, and entrepreneurial person who possesses the following experience, skills, knowledge, and attributes:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., nonprofit management, business administration, international relations) and/or relevant experience.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external audiences to achieve programmatic goals.
- Excellent communication skills; the ability to connect with and represent our organization to a variety of audiences.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing, fundraising, and development.
- Knowledge of nonprofit financial management and budgeting.
- Previous experience working with and/or managing a nonprofit governing board.
- Willingness to travel domestically 2-3 times annually.
- Prior experience – personal or professional – with international exchange, visitors, diplomacy, global education, or international business and/or organizations a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, videoconferencing, and social media (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, X).
- Familiarity with using a content management system (CMS), Canva for materials development, and Mailchimp a plus.
Starting salary is $40,000 to $50,000 commensurate with experience. Benefits open to negotiation.
This position is located in Akron, Ohio. Global Ties Akron offices are in the College of Business Administration, The University of Akron.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Global Ties Akron provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees.
Global Ties Akron does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, sex / sexual orientation / gender identity or expression, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.